Monday, May 19, 2008

Peak phase week 15 " Back on track "


It's been a great week of hard training and I was feeling better just in time for our first week of peak phase, we had shifted some of the workouts around to get the bike rides done on the dry days and this worked fine for me as the routine can become stale and changing things really refreshed it for me.


On Friday we got down to fuller lake for another swim , this time with a bit warmer temp but still a little cold on the hands and feet; we did a loop around the lake and it went pretty good.

We had a planed ride for Saturday to preview the race course at Shawnigan lake, our tri bud Gary decided to join us as well, we left from Duncan and did two loops of the lake... it's going to be a bumpy race, the roads are a little rough but I guess I forgot it's been a while since riding out there; the ride was around 85km and the weather was awesome, hope to have the same on race day.

Sunday morning we did our 20km run at a steady pace of 5:37 and it was getting pretty warm by 10:00 am but this will be good to get some heat conditioning in , yea so if I can do this pace at my half iron man that would put me in at under 2 hours but if not no big deal, I just want to try and take in as much of the day as I can. After lunch we met up with Gary and Linda at Fuller lake, did about 1600m staying close to the edge so we could check out all the plants and logs and stuff...that's always fun, oh and no cold hands or feet.. the warm weather has really brought the lake temp up, once we were done we lounged around the beach for a while soaking up the rays and just enjoyed each others company...what a great end to a terrific week of training.

Next weekend is our Shawnigan sprint on Sunday so I shall have a race report and it will be interesting to see how t-1 goes its my first open water race and I 'll have a wet suit to remove!....yikes!

1 comment:

Tri-Guy said...

Hey Ivan....Who's that handsome young lad between you and wifey? HeHe....The Ladysmith Trio Trigeeks. Hey man! Pretty quick transition there and a good swim, bike and run to boot. See??? Shin splints did not hinder you that much. But a longer 1/2 IM might be different so nurse it good with that physio if that works. I tend to believe for shin splints you just have to let them heal on their own with time. Physio did not help me at all on those. But persistent long runs made them go away after toughening out. So you should be winding down now pretty soon. Lucky dog! We have to train right through it all. Happy wind down taper starting next week?