Sunday, May 4, 2008

Build phase week 13 "First open water swim"


Whew! am I ever happy this week has come to an end! its been a really blah time for me in my training, at the beginning of the week I felt a little touch of a bug but couldn't be sure if I was sick or a little over trained and figured its probably a combination of both.

My workouts seemed to be all over the place especially towards the end of the week, I missed a couple workouts , one bike session on Tuesday and the swim workout for Wednesday evening, I still managed to get my 6:00 am track work done on Wed. and am happy about that because I know that I will continue to make a few more leaps with that sport of running. On Thursday Tam and I had a really good ride around the Cedar loop and managed a 2:06 per km pace and averaged 29km per hr, I almost got the JT dialed in and now have a new 80mm stem in the cockpit and a new rear 10spd cassette to go with the 1ospd shifters, having gone back to something I'm more familiar with as far as gearing is concerned has made a huge difference! ; I also got a new saddle and after today's ride seems to me that its going to do the trick. Friday I made it through the am swim fine but the run after work I was really lagging and the gym workout was well .... lets just Skipp that one.. ha ha.

Oh I love the weekends and Tam and I decided to Skipp the 1:40 min run in favor of a nice trail run on Holland creek, it was a bit slippery as Tam went for a ride a couple of times..thank god she did not hurt herself, but other than that it was a really good run for me considering the way I've been feeling all week.

So here we are Sunday morning getting ready ready for our first open water swim, which I set the date for a week and a half ago, 15 degrees sunny how bad could it be?Well off we went down to Fuller lake to meet up with Gary ,he didn't want to miss this! and we suited up into our Orca's... ear plugs, thermal cap, another cap, and one bright yellow cap, we edged toward the water got the feet in and I thought it wont be too bad, so I started to wade in, Tam just behind me ..she was freaking! , Gary laughing, and I finally told Tam lets go! and in I went with a rush of cold water across my face it was a bit shocking; and then we headed out and seemed to stop about every 25m to see if we were OK and then kept going, after a about 250m Tam said shes had enough and wanted to head back and I decided to keep going, I stoped about every 25-35 m to catch my breath.. it was hard to breathe with the water temp that cold; I got to the dock at the far north end and took a min. to get focused again and then headed down the far side of the lake and at the mid point I noticed that my feet were tingling and my right pinky finger was a drift from my other digits and I could not move it tight to the others, at this point I said to myself " yea the lake is cold today dude!" but with the wetsuit overall it was doable. I got about 3/4 of the way down and then decided to head back across the lake and for the shore where Tam and Gary were awaiting my return. I did about 1500m... not bad for the first cold! swim of the season. .. I was glad I stayed the course and just sort of went for it! it felt kind of awesome actually and should help prepare me for the Shawnigan sprint on the 25th, so I should get in two more open water swims before that, the nice thing about the race is its only 500m swim so it will be over with quick .

And I guess that's been my week, hope I don't get any sicker from that swim! and look forward to posting again soon.




1 comment:

Tri-Guy said...

Hey Ivan, You did not mention your Hoo Hoo disappearing inside your tummy during that cold swim. That's a body's natural defense to preserving what's more important. Lol! Well done you crazy fool. My turn this week.....Except no wussy cap for me. HeHe. It's an manpride thing you know! ...:)