Sunday, April 27, 2008

Build phase week 12 "My Jamis Trilogy"


I had a great recovery week, the timing was good for me to allow for some extra rr from last weeks race at Sooke. All my workouts are going really good and I seem to have enough energy to get the job done!

My Jamis tri bike arrived this week and I got it all put together right away in time for a ride to Chemainus and back on Tuesday, it's so different with the pursuit bars and bar end shifting and bullhorns and all that cool tri stuff, the front end is so responsive with the Easton EC90 aero fork, I think I'm gona like this bike allot, I still have more tweaking with adjustments for fit to do on it yet and it will take a bit of time to get used to it, the seat angle is only at 76 degrees compared to the C-dale at 74.5, so it's not a huge difference in that area of the bike, that's actually relaxed for a tri bike. We got out for a nice ride of 72 km on Saturday, I figured this might end up hurting a bit with the new bike but I got it dialed in pretty good so far and I just need more time to get the hang of bar end shifting, I'm not sure if I like the cassette it came with on the rear ...I miss my coveted 15 tooth and now have a 14 and 16 ...takes time to re learn those new gears and if I don't like it fairly quick I'll throw on my old 12-23.... but then I wont have the new 11 cog which is so killer to have on those down hills...anyhow I'll figure out what to do as I go along ha ha. Our ride was 2:41 with an average of 27.5 , we had too much head and cross winds but still managed to pull of a 2:13 per km pace so it was a pretty good first ride on the JT.

I'm gona jump right to the rest of the good stuff that happened today; first was the run this morning a 10:15am slight misty rain but tolerable, we took in the back side of Holland creek trail and headed up to Davis then Via the highway to the tunnel and along the beach and docks , then back up through to the train tunnel and finished up Christie rd, I had the best run since I have started this whole training program and really enjoyed myself today, total distance was about 16 km with a time of 1:33 which wasn't bad considering about 4-5 km of that was trail, with all the hard work that goes into this it sure is nice to have these days it just makes it all the more rewarding.
The swim was in mid afternoon up at Nanaimo, I wasn't sure about the swim because it involved a timed distance today and thought I wouldn't have the energy, but I put on a brave face and decided to take up the challenge; I had a 350m warm up and the main set was 1650m timed and 350m c/d, the main set went pretty well and I completed it with a time of 32:47...not to bad for feeling a bit tired from the run in the morning, I guess my fitness level has just really come a long way now and sometimes I don't expect great things from myself but that's one of the really cool things about this type of training you surprise yourself and at times go beyond your own expectations....no award or monetary thing can ever give you that greatness you feel inside.

No comments: