Monday, June 2, 2008

Peak phase week 17 " Pain in the Soleus! "

Well I finally made to my physio appointment on Friday and seem to have nailed down the pain in my shin as a aggravated Soleus, it got all flared up two weeks ago from a 20km run and while there can be multiple reasons for this, I do have a plan to treat it so i can get through my half iron and after that I'll probably try some new runners for starters and then go from there.

All week I skipped on the running and concentrated my efforts on the bike and swim as to allow my injury to heal , really all my workouts felt good through the week and pushed hard in the gym, on Friday when I went for my appointment the therapist managed to bring back the pain in a good way and got that muscle lengthened again but it hurt allot and thought I may not run on Sunday but she said to go ahead but to cut the distance and stick to some trails, I will see her on Wednesday again for another treatment and hope the prognosis is good.

I'll jump right to Saturdays ride of 101 km which kind of zig zaged around the valley, we were going to ride out to lake Cowichan and back but soon abandoned that because the main highway was just to rough on the shoulder and we did not want to get rattled apart! ; I hydrated well on the ride and took in a power bar and 2/3 of another one.. also did 3-4 gels so the fueling aspect went good, no flats and managed an average speed of just over 27km on hilly Maple bay and Croften area, it was nice to see some of our old routes for a change and I had a strong ride for the most part.

On Sunday we headed for Fuller lake under gray skies for a timed swim of 2000m I finished with a respectable 42:23 but had lost a minute or more trying to navigate around a fisher.. I could not tell which way he was going and was care full not to get caught in his lines! ...That would make things tough if someone was trying to reel you in hey! he he; once we were done that we then ventured across the lake and back again for a total distance of at least 2800m..my total swim time was 57:43 and I felt pretty good after that...the fitness is definitely there! On the way home we grabbed a snack and did a few errands then headed back to the house to gear up for a run...this was supposed to be a 2 hour run but had to be cut back to 1 hour for me and I felt kind of nervous of doing any distance at all; and off I went to my favorite trail.. at first I had no pain at all and figured it was done giving me grief but at the backside of the trail I was getting some of that dull aching but nothing to severe and I just kept a nice easy pace ; at times the pain was a bit more intense than I liked but as I warmed up it became very manageable and continiued on a easy pace and soon found myself on the home stretch and I was feeling good knowing that I will finish my half iron run portion latter this month, With a few more week to heal up I 'll be in good shape for shure!

I have renewed confidence once again as I was getting worried about this injury but most of my people said I would be fine and me thinks they are right too...and the count down is on ...and then there were three...3 weeks of training left that is....yahoo!

1 comment:

Tri-Guy said...

Way to go Ivan! You are almost there. I am sure you will do OK despite the latest injury. Hope it goes away for you by the event but if it doesn't, can't throw away all that training right? So go for it a little bit easier anyway with somewhat less expectations on finishing time. Will let you know when we are going down to ride the course. If we can all go down and do that at same time great! If not well, we definitely will be racing it together anyway. Take care.