Sunday, June 8, 2008

Peak phase week 18 " The count down is on! "

Wow I cant believe two weeks left to go!, and today marks the end of peak phase ..this week is 1/2 taper then the following week is full taper and finally Race day on the 22Nd. I have still been dealing with that Soleus injury and going to physio but I 'll manage to do my race just fine in spite of that, this weeks training has really allowed me to see how my fitness level has improved and come to be ready for this endurance event , I can actually feel it even in my runs! its an amazing thing...now that I'm entering the taper I hope I don't get too wound up ..ha ha.

Today I must confess that I skipped my swim and run.. well as far as the run goes I had some aching in my leg so it just needs a good rest for a couple of days...this I know is best for me, and the swim ...well we were up in Nanaimo with our gear and wanted to hit the pool for a change...had shopping to do first and by the time we got done Tam said she had a bit of a headache and my poor tummy just was not right so we mutually agreed not to go at all...the fact is we both pushed hard this week and have had so much other stuff going on in life right now...hey that training plan is not Gospel and meant to be flexible anyway.

The weather has been real crappy for training and we had to use the trainer for one bike session due to rain, and the lake is kind of so so for warming up yet and seems to be pretty cool in the late afternoon...I wonder what the weather will be like on race day...hmmm....probably super hot and it will totally kill me because all my training has been done in cooler temps!..well most of it, but we'll have to wait and see and just make the best of whatever it is.

So other than my injury everything is going great, I got my front rim back from Experience cycling and Dale had to replace a total of 5 spokes due to that little accident I had a couple of weeks back, I am very excited about the taper phase of training .. this is all new to me for an event of this distance and will give me some time to reflect on the last couple of months and to begin to mentally finish preparing for my big day.

1 comment:

Triguy Varmint said...

Good going Ivan, You too have come a long way my friend and your journey is almost over. As I told Tammy, don't worry about the weather on race day because everyone will be in the same boat and unless they were from down south somewhere nobody has had a chance to acclamitize this Spring and Summer. Just drink lots and go just a bit slower if it is super hot which from all indications so far might not happen. I wish you every success in your first and hopefully not last Half Iron. You have worked hard and like Tammy deserve a good event whatever your time goals are or whether it is just finishing. Be proud of coming from a non athlete to a triathlete in two years of training. Unlike Tammy who must give it up for a while, I hope you keep it up so you don't have to start all over again. When my Ironman is finished, and if Tammy is off to Regina, we can relax and enjoy some of those trail runs to Hart lake which I am looking forward to. Take care and Good Luck.