Sunday, March 16, 2008

Base phase week 6 "Bruised but not beaten"


Wow another week gone! and I think I'm feeling pretty good about the progress so far; on Tuesday after work it was hill repeats again and the weather was dry and sunny; we did 10x 1:00 min repeats with 2 min active recovery, I held back just enough to make sure I had enough juice in me to finish the set strong, I actually do really like this workout, oh yea I can't forget to mention the fact that after repeat #7 I feel over standing still on the bike, I was clipped in on my left side facing up hill right foot down on the pavement with my wheel turned to the right.. brakes on and I released the brake the bike rolled back a foot and my wheel got turned all the way to left some how and down I went! ouch! I saved my bike from any damage with my body ha ha. After dinner we headed up to the gym for a change of pace, that was nice ,we usually do this workout at home. I am beginning to see a real difference in myself and that is exciting for me and helps to keep me motivated with weight training.

Wednesdays track work went pretty crappy, I think I may have strained my right leg when I fell over on the bike and by the third repeat it didn't feel any better so I took a break and watched Tammy for a while and then headed home to get ready for a swim so that I got some kind of workout in for the day and besides the swim is low impact and made me feel better about the lost track session.

On Thursday we did our bike ride to Chemainus and back, it was threatening to rain most of the way and on the last part of the ride we got drizzled on a bit but not soaked to the bone! Latter on that evening, actually it was 8:00 pm, we got to the gym for a great workout and at the end we both held a plank for 3:00 min ...it feels. so good when you finally finish and collapse on the floor! he he.

Oh gosh the dreaded 6:00 am swim again, this was to be 2000m of which I did 1700m of it, boy I tell you it's so hard to get going on these swims in the am; the run today was tough for me today because on Thursdays gym work we did some step ups and was really feeling it on the run, my butt was totally killing me from this ha ha .. that darn wife of mine always seems to throw something new in at just the right time .

On Saturday we got to do a great brick workout, we headed for Cedar rd one our favorite routes and road out till we hit our 37:30 min turn around time and then headed for home, total ride time was 1:13 and we covered about 31km; once home we doned our run gear and took off for a 20 min loop, we ran 4km in 20:42 which gave me a pace of 5:10, I was so happy to see this I was was like yea! I rock man! for me the running is what I have a hard time seeing that I'm actually improving on because we are always running on tired legs and this was a small milestone for me.

And finally for Sunday we only had a 1700m endurance swim with a twist we did 350m warm up and 350m cool down with the main set being 1000m time trial, I was so pumped for this all week, and the results are.... well I was hoping for a little faster time than my 20:42min swim but the fact is that we had 50m length and I'm not used to time trialing like that, it always seems to be with 25m lengths, and I seemed to have a full feeling in my stomach?... strange hmm ,but really I am happy with my time and have never trialed that distance so now I have a benchmark to beat and look forward to my continual swimming improvements. We finished of our day and week of training with a nice run around Westwood lake, lots of people out there today as signs of spring are everywhere.

My body is adapting well so far with this hectic 6 day a week training program, although at times it takes a good push to get me out the door and other times I'm just ready to rip, next it all ramps up again for week#7 and it'll be a challenge once again which I shall embrace with great fear! no ha ha just kidding cant seem to find the word for it so I'll just leave it at that.

P.S. the pic above is the fist sized bruise I found this morning on the inside of my thigh from when I fell over on my bike, it actually knocked my bike seat 3 inches sideways, and I had to pull out the allen wrench to readjust it.

3 comments:

Triguy Varmint said...

Nice Bo Bo there guy. You do know that part of the ritual for long distance triathlets to shave their hairy legs before a race right? Less wind resistance and all that! And it does't totally rip out your skin in a fall. PS: Let your wifey do that followed by a hot oil massage. Feels sooooo gooood! HeHe! Might turn her on also! Good Luck.

triman said...

Oh! for long distance..oops I must admit somthing Gar last year I got all caught up in the hype of my first sprint tri and shaved for that one..he he

Triguy Varmint said...

HeHeHe! Tammy must of been laughing her head off right along with your kids?