Sunday, March 9, 2008

Base phase week five " Rag dolls"

Well the work load has certainly risen this week , Tues first workout was hill repeats and we decided Christie rd would be a good site for this and boy it sure was other than the 5:00 pm traffic rush of people coming home from work; we did a loop around the diamond to get warmed up and then proceeded with our workout which consisted of 1:00 min hard effort up Christie and 2:00 min recovery, after the first two I thought my lungs were gonna burst! but it did get better at about number 5; it was only 4 degrees in the shade and I wore my short gloves and froze my fingers off, I figured with this type of work I would be sweating buckets...not; when I finally finished at the 9th one I was happy so we could get going home to warm up, I guess with the two min recovery and low temp it was hard to stay warm, we finished up the day with a good workout in the basement.

On Wednesday it was time for our first track workout and I actually did pretty good, we did 11-30 sec repeats wit 2 min active recovery; I was pretty tired after that but we still made it up to the pool for our 7:30pm workout, the work out was supposed to be only 1825m but I miss counted and ended up doing 1900m... oops no big deal.

By the time I got home on Thursday afternoon my body was rebelling! I was totally wiped out with everything being ramped up for the new base phase,( I may have called some of these weeks build phases but they are base phases) and when Tammy got home she felt the same and we decided not to do our spin session or gym and try to get some rest for Friday mornings swim.

6:00 am Friday morn groggy and sleepy eyed we entered the pool for what was going to be a 1900m workout..well or whatever I could do in an hour , and let me tell you it wasn't much, I was like a rag doll ...beat up, tired and just finished! we both managed to muster up 1500m and call it a morning, and figured we did pretty darn good anyways.

On Saturday we rode to Duncan and back for about a 65km ride , longest one this year so far and we averaged about 26-27km per hour at a moderate intensity and I felt good the whole way. While in Duncan we stopped at the cycle shop for a quick adjustment on Tams bike and then headed for home to beat the rain again, we sure have been lucky with most rides but I'm sure we'll end up getting soaked sooner or latter.

Well Sunday proved to be a tough day to finish of the week. Our day started at 2:00 pm for a swim of 2300m with a 250m warm up and 250 cool down, the main set was 1800m which I managed to do in 39:26 and a total swim time of 51:08 for 2300m total; on the last 6 laps of the main set I was really feeling the impact as I was actually starting to get a little shaky, but I still managed to get into a great rhythm right away and once again I'm happy with the swim progress.

When we got home we slipped on our run gear and headed for the Holland creek trail for one of our favorite runs and after about 2km into the run I knew it was gonna be a tough one and I would just have to hang in there; the run lasted for 1:05:00 and we managed to cover about 9.5 km as we also ran some road at the end to get the time in, and and I was sure glad to see our driveway finally come into view.

So this concludes week 5 of training and even though I missed a few workouts the extra rest was warranted and I am managing fairly well so far as I continue on this journey to my ultimate goal...The half Ironman.

1 comment:

Tri-Guy said...

Sounds like it was tough this week Ivan. Just to let you know everybody goes through this at one time or other. Persevere and don't go on a guilt trip because of your missed workout. You did great and can be proud of your accomplishments to date. Keep it up and train smart.....Gar