Sunday, March 2, 2008

Base phase week four "End of week four I made it! "

Wow this past week has just flown by, of course it has because it was recovery week and like all good things they must come to a end ;I am now preparing for phase 2 week 5 and I'm sure things will get tough again so the rest was really nice and I think my body is ready for bout #2.
We had lots of sunshine these past few days which made for great riding and running , we just love those after work road rides and the days are getting longer now so that in itself is great.
Friday mornings swim I still felt a bit sluggish getting going, I don't know if I'll get used to 6:00 am Friday starts at the pool but I have to do what has to be done and always feel good after the fact.
The week was caped off with a wonderful 1.5 hour bike ride under the sun a bit cool in the shade, we headed for a loop ride down the highway through to Chemainus and back home; it was nice to do that route for the first time this year and makes me want to time trial it again but that will have to wait till after our main event.
Today was loaded up pretty good for last day of recovery week; we headed for Nanaimo pool at around 10:00am and had a 1700m endurance swim to do but with our season opener coming in April at Sooke we needed to do our 700m time trial to see where our times are at; so I did a 50m warm up and then set my stop watch and was off, The trial went really well and I only lost focus a couple of times, once to adjust my goggles (leaking) and also choked on some Flem or something? and that messed up my breathing pattern but I became refocused quickly on both incidences, also no panic either which may have to do with more self confidence. I finished with a time of 14:11 a new pr for me ! I was so happy to see the improvement; (note: last years time at Sooke was 15:30) and I can honestly say that I held back knowing we still had a brick (bike/run) to do after the swim; so I'm kind of wallowing in the fruits of my labour..ha ha.... now if I can get that darn running in shape.
We got home and geared up for our brick with cloudy skies hoping it wouldn't start to rain; the ride was for about an hour and our turn around was at Arbutus ridge. I felt pretty good most of the ride and was so happy no rain. Arriving home a little pooped, after all we just did 1700m at the pool and went at a pretty good pace on the bike too; I quickly got my run gear on and was out the door , my legs feeling a bit heavy but not like they did when I started doing bricks last year, for the first couple of kms my pace was good but started to fade at 3km and I ended up walking for a short time from cramping pain in the front of my shins and ankles but soon refocused to finish with a time I was happy with; I think I was just really done for the day and my legs were telling me so. That was a great day though and felt fairly energised for most of it and just had an awesome week overall ; Monday is rest day and then its back to the grind on Tues. and I look forward to the challenges that phase 2 will bring. Well that's about all for now until next post.

No comments: