Sunday, March 30, 2008

Base phase week 8 "Recovery rules!"




Ahhh, another week of well deserved rest has come to an end today, although the training plan backs off a bit during recovery you still have to stick with all those scheduled workouts.

I pretty much got rid of that cold I had last week, just a few sniffles left now..he he and I hope it doesn't come back!

All this week it was like Christmas around here with new race tires arriving on Tuesday, I thought I'd try out some Continental Grand Prix 4000's, got some for Tammy's bike too, mine in blue and hers in red; then on Wednesday our new triathlon bike shoes showed up , Tam didn't even know I ordered them..I'm such a sneaker! The tri shoes will be nice with just one Velcro strap to do up instead of fumbling with the buckles on our other shoes, who knows it could shave off 10-15 seconds. I have a few more goodies still coming and the shopping never seems to end, thank goodness for eBay it saves me a bit of cash and time which is great.

So we had an interesting start to our day on Friday, we figured that if we switched our 6:00am swim for the run and do the swim after work in Nanaimo it would work better for us;but it was actually starting to snow!, so off we went with icy snow pelting our faces..hard to keep good form...hey wait a minute deja vu this happened to me before!...ha ha; I kind of thought maybe it would be better to be in the pool now instead of running in this spring blizzard, but we toughed it out anyways; You know it snowed most of the morning and we ended up with about 4 inches and by the time we both got home from work we just didn't feel up to our swim and decided to get some extra RR.

And now for today, I did my endurance swim in Nanaimo 2000m in 43:19, although this was not a timed swim and included 500m of warm up /cool down its just nice to keep track of how long your workouts are. Once we got home it was time for our brick and we geared up under partly cloudy skies for a road ride ...no rain..smile....We managed to get in 26.7 km in just over an hour. darn wind again! he he, but the pace was still good at 2:15 per km so we averaged 26.87 km per hour, soon we we're off on the run and did a 4km loop and I felt really good on this run , so much so that I had gas enough to push beyond were I've never ventured to before; on the last km I continued on at my current pace and held it till about the last 800m and then pushed myself up the last little hill and kept on the gas till I reached home, I hit the stop watch and was elated to see a time of 19:52 yes!, a new pr for me and a another milestone to finally do a run in sub 5:00 min. per km, yea so it was only a 4:58 on a short run.. but wait that was after a 26km bike which was after a 2000m swim, wow I've just had one the the most awesome bricks ever!, now I can see the benefits of this recovery stuff!

I had a good week all in all and am now mentally preparing for the beginning of the build phase of our training program, on paper it look a little daunting but hope to do equally as well on this new chapter as I have done on the last 8 weeks, the journey has been great for me so far and I look forward to the up coming challenges with great enthusiasm.



No comments: