Sunday, February 10, 2008

Base phase week one "End of week one first endurance swim"




Today marks the end of week one and it has been great! I know that week two starts to ramp up the workload a bit more but I am sure I will adjust fine although it is diffucult to train 6 days a week all done after work .

On Saturday we got to hit the road with the bikes and managed to stay pretty dry, my fitness level on the bike is way beyond where I thought it would be, thanks to the fluid trainer we bought in November and coach Troy. We road for a steady 1:45 and felt fine upon finishing; also made sure I hydrated and ate on the bike to help ensure the fuel I'm takeing reacts well with my system.

Later that evening Tam and I did our work out in the basement, I love it down there, it was a bit tough to get going but managed to get warmed up quickley , I have a hard time being motavated in the gym but with Tammy being a certified weight trainer I am in really good hands, wow how lucky is that to have your own personal trainer/wife in house? he he... finished up our weight training with some yoga streching that stuff is something that I plan to do a lot more of as we progress, I thought that I was fairly flexable but with the little bit I've done so far shows me that my right knee needs alot of work...three and half years ago I tore my MCL and it took two years to get it back to the point where I could start to run full time, last year was my fist full year as a runner approxamently 650km.

Well sunday morning came fast and I draged my but out of bed a 8:45 ...I stay up too late and love sleeping! ha. Had a nice bowl Kashi cerial 7 grains of yumminess, actually new to me and after I ate it hoped that it woudn't give me any tummie troubles, most things don't I have ironguts! We had to pick up Gary on the way out his van had a flat and he caught us just in time to give him a ride to his race (cedar 12km) and wished him well. Todays swim was an endurance one of 1800m , 300m warm up 1200m -5-10 second rest every 100 and 300m cool down ,I felt realativly strong the whole swim, maybe a little soreness from last nights weight session, and I was looking forward to it all weekend.

After the swim we headed straight up to Westwood lake for a doubble loop of the lake, on the way up I downed a power gel and water to prepair for the run and again make sure my system reacts well with different fuels. The first lap went verry good I felt strong and energetic, at the 6km mark it was turn around and knew I would have to dig in for the final lap as I was feeling the effects of the past weeks training load. I had to back of a couple of times to make sure I wouldn't fade too much, with Tam there I managed to keep pace with her fairley well and finished feeling like I did when I finished my first half marathon last year (Landsend) . I was surprised to hit the stop watch with a time of 1:05:51 woo hoo for me this was awesome considering the laod of work this week and it was trail!

It has been a great week for me, learning, building, and enjoying my accomplishments....knowing that I must maintain a mental attitude of "I CAN!" to help me through this adventure towards my first half ironman.

3 comments:

Triguy Varmint said...

Congratulations on your first week of successful training Ivan.Poor you though, it's not enough that you have Tammy bossing you around the house all day! Now you have to tolerate her nagging at you all during training also! Ohhhhh....I feel for you buddy! I think she needs another mud bath and maybe a snot or two???LoL. Train Smart

triman said...

Thanks Gary, and yea maybe she does need another one..he he but thats what she gets for drafting so much!

Jon P said...

Hit the road... on your bikes... in Feb... I'm envious. :)

Which race are you planning to do?

To answer your question on my blog... I haven't done a full marathon yet, this year will be my first. Doing the Mississauga marathon in May.